Part 316.3 of the novel: This old man...

This old man was in the woods and then his hip gave out and he couldn’t walk anymore and the old man’s brother was off shooting coyotes and this old man thought, “I wish I had my chainsaw. I would cut down a tree and make myself a new leg and when I was done I would cut off my leg and put the new wooden one on in its place.” Then the old man heard a gunshot and his brother laugh and he thought, “Well, I hope he didn’t shoot someone’s dog.” Then his hip started to feel better and he stood up and walked over to the truck and took his chainsaw out of the back and sat on the tailgate. He didn’t feel much like working anymore so he sat on the back of the pickup truck and took off the saw’s chain and began to sharpen it. Then he looked at his watch and wondered when his brother would be coming back empty handed, talking about the meanest dogs anyone had ever seen, even though all he ended up doing was firing off some warning shots and laughing while the dogs took off running.

No comments: